Tuesday, May 24, 2011

To, Not Past

Today's passage:  Song of Solomon 2
     "The voice of my beloved!  behold, he cometh leaping upon the mountains, skipping upon the hills."  Movies and commercials have often spoofed two young people in love in a flowery meadow running towards each other with wide open arms, and romantic music playing as they finally embrace.  They are smiling and happy and can see nothing in the world but each other.  The spoofs often have them running past each other or something else awkward when they do meet.
     I was picturing Christ as the beloved, leaping and skipping.  He is the man in the movie running toward me with his arms open wide.  Do I run to meet Him?  Do I see him alone?  Or am I distracted by something beyond Him?  Maybe the checklist of things I have to do today?  Perhaps the book I want to finish reading?  How about the bills I need to pay?  I have so many things in my life that take my focus off God.  So many things that cause me to run right past Him.  He comes to meet me, and I am not there.  He wants that special time with me each morning, and I have found something else to do.  That is not the picture of true love.  That is not the picture of devotion.  How well do I love my Lord?  How well do I listen to His voice? 
     The Shulamite woman knew Solomon's voice so well, that when she heard it, even before she saw him she knew it was him.    I know my husband's voice.  I know it so well, that I could be in a crowded room, and I could pick it out.  I know his tone, his accent, his speech patterns.  We have spent a lot of time together, that is how I know him.  It is the same thing with Christ.  The more time I spend with Him, the more I will know Him.  The more time I spend with Him, the more my love for Him will grow.  He will call, and I will answer.  He will run, and I will run to meet Him.  If my love is real, I will not see any of the distractions in the background, I will see only Him.  Cue the romantic music.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is God doing in your life?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...