Monday, July 18, 2011

Starring Role

Today's passage:  John 14:16-31
     When I was in high school, I enjoyed being involved in theater.  My junior year, we performed "Our Town".  I had a bit part as a girl who questions someone in the cemetery.  By default, I ended up playing one of the principal characters, Mrs. Webb (the mother of George, one of the two main characters.)  It is a long story how I ended up with the role and cost me a friendship through no fault of my own.  My senior year, we performed "Grease" with major editing, and I was really hoping to be a pink lady but instead ended up playing the school principal rather than a principal role.  I was really disappointed.  I whined and complained about it.  I grumbled that even people in the chorus were in more scenes than I was.  I look back now at how I reacted, and wish I could take that girl by the shoulders and give her a good shaking.
     "Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him:  but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you."  I have something that not everyone has.  As a believer in Christ, I have the Holy Spirit dwelling in me.  He wants to be a major player in my life.  He can be if I allow Him.  I wonder if there are times when the Holy Spirit is disappointed that He doesn't have more of a starring role.  Maybe there are times He has had a principal part, and other times when I have designated Him as the supporting cast.  I thank God for being my Father, I thank Jesus for dying for me.  I thank God for the Holy Spirit, but do I ever acknowledge the Spirit Himself.  He is the third person of the trinity after all.  Doesn't He want to be recognized?  Do I ever pray, "Holy Spirit, thank You for Your work in my life."  Some denominations overexaggerate His work in our lives, but I think some denominations maybe deemphasize what He does for us.  Without the Holy Spirit, I wouldn't understand a single word in my Bible.  Without the Holy Spirit, I could not be convicted of my sin.  Without the Holy Spirit, I would not have the comfort and peace that God shows me.  It is through Him (the Holy Spirit) that I am able experience any of these things.  He is God, He should get more credit. 
     If you have ever been to live theater, you may notice that when the play is over, the actors come out on stage to take their bows.  The smaller roles come out first, with people applauding of course.  The major roles are saved for last, as the applause builds and sometimes culminates in a standing ovation.  The Trinity all have major roles.  God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit all deserve the credit in my life.  They have been equally involved in how He has worked in my life.  The Holy Spirit would never demand my attention, but I ought to give Him more credit than I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is God doing in your life?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...