Monday, April 25, 2011

Staying

Today's passage: Isaiah 50
     As a child, my parents always told me (as thousands of parents have told their children), "If we go somewhere, and you get lost, stay where you are, and let us find you."  Sometimes I am lost in a crowd of enemies.  Sometimes I look around me and it feels like I have nobody on my side.  "Who is among you that feareth the LORD, that obeyeth the voice of his servant, that walketh in darkness, and hath no light? let him trust in the name of the LORD, and stay upon his God."  When I think about staying upon God, I think about being lost somewhere and letting my parents find me.  If I listen to what they told me, they will rescue me.  Whether in trouble or not, if I stay upon God, He will deliver me.  He already has delivered me.  But how do I stay?  The most obvious answer would be to stay upon His Word.  When I read it and study it, I am close to Him, and He doesn't have to go very far to find me.  When I read His Word, it keeps me from straying very far from what is right for me and makes it harder for me to get lost.  Prayer also helps me to stay upon God.  When I have neglected my prayer time, it seems that when I resume, my prayers "hit the ceiling".  God doesn't feel close, although He hasn't gone anywhere.  When I have been consistent in my prayer life, I feel His presence.  Hard to get lost when He is so near.
Bible-Flower
     I guess my parents were right again.  If I listened to their advice, they would eventually find me, although the farther away I went, the longer it would take.  I need to take my Heavenly Father's advice as well.  The closer I stay to His Word and in prayer, the less time it will take to bring me home again.

1 comment:

  1. It's a blessing, as a parent, to know that children do listen, and remember the good advice that was given. I too, was given great advice. Thanks, Steph, for the application of this with your Heavenly Father, too!

    ReplyDelete

What is God doing in your life?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...