Friday, April 22, 2011

Rivers of Peace, Waves of Righteousness

Today's passage: Isaiah 48
"...I am the LORD thy God which teacheth thee to profit, which leadeth thee by the way that thou shouldest go."(I have bolded the words for emphasis).  I have sung the song, "He Leadeth Me" from our hymn book numerous times.  But I'm fairly certain that I have never sang "He Profiteth Me".  God helps us in all of our endeavors. If I am living righteously, seeking Him, whatever I put my hand to will be successful.  Why?  Because he teaches me how to do things the right way.  He teaches me how to do things for His glory, and not my own. What a promise!  If I have consulted Him about something, and follow Him all the way through it, then He will give me success in it, because if I have done these things, He will get the glory.  So chef: open that restaurant (if God wills), carpenter: build that house (if God wills), musician: play that recital (if God wills), administrator: hire those workers (if God wills).  Just be sure to consult Him first and every day.
The Sea of Galilee becomes calm--Taken from Standard Bible Story Readers, Book Two
By Lillie A. Faris, Illustrated by O.A. Stemler and Bess Bruce Cleaveland
Standard Publishing Company, 1925
  The following verse tells us that if Israel had followed God's commandments their peace would have been like a river and their righteousness like the waves of the sea.  I was thinking about this.  I don't think of rivers as being particularly peaceful.  If there is little rain, they lower, if it is a particularly rainy season, they rise and sometimes flood.  Some rivers that wind through mountains move rapidly.  Hardly peaceful.  But then there are places in rivers that make great fishing spots, they move quietly and slowly.  Isn't my life like that? I have high points, low points, hurried bends, quiet bends.  Isn't God telling me that when I stay close to Him, I will have peace in whatever situation I find myself? If I am going through something tough, I will have peace.  If I am having victories, I will have peace.  What about the waves of the sea part of this verse?  How can righteousness be like the waves of the sea?  What do waves do?  Well, they bring water onto the shore.  They move things along.  They have the ability to topple anything in their path.  How can my righteousness accomplish this?  If I am living righteously, I can bring others to Him.  If I am living righteously, I can help influence others (move them) to live Godly lives.  I hope I am doing that for my children.  If I am living righteously, I can topple any evil.  Any ungodly thing that stands in my way, can be swept away, if I am living righteously.
    Lord, allow me to trust in you for my successes, follow Your Word so that I may have peace and righteousness in my life.  Thank you for all you allow me to do, help me to topple anything wicked that comes across my path today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is God doing in your life?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...