Wednesday, November 17, 2010

A Leaky Pitcher

Isaiah 41:1-29
     It is hard to fathom why God tolerates the kingdoms of Israel with her idolatrous ways.  She has never been faithful to the God who delivered her from so many of her enemies.  She never seems grateful for all the miracles He performed on her behalf.  Then I think about all the times I've failed Him.  They have been numerous.  I think about all the times I've been greedy and wanting more, instead of being grateful and thankful.  Certainly God has been tolerant of my behavior.  My life is not over yet, which means the likelihood that I will still mess up and fail him are 100%.  Israel has had a very long life, thousands of years longer, so maybe the number of times she has messed up, compared with mine, is about even.
    God reminds Israel how He made them a nation.  He raised up Abraham out of practically nowhere and gave him a land.  Apparently according to verses 2-3, Abraham ruled over kings.  I guess I need to review Genesis, because I had not remembered this.  Or maybe this is the first time God chooses to share this information with us.
     "Thou whom I have taken from the ends of the earth, and called thee from the chief men thereof, and said unto thee, Thou art my servant; I have chosen thee, and not cast thee away."  This verse, 9, says a lot.  Israel had been called, and through all her mistakes and failings, God has chosen her and has not discarded her.  God does the same with me.  There are some times in my life when I feel like I have completely disappointed God and let Him down.  Fortunately, He does not abandon me.  He still chooses to use me, despite my flaws and defects.  Perhaps it is because I am imperfect, that He does choose to use me.  It just shows how impressive He is.   The leaky pitcher used to serve lemonade probably is not as effective as the pitcher that doesn't leak, and may not serve as many drinks, and may be wasteful, but the fact that it may get the job done at all is a tribute to the person using it.  However, wouldn't I rather be the pitcher that is not leaking? How much more could I accomplish if I were whole? How many more glasses could I fill?  I should not be wasteful of what God has given me.
Public domain clip art pitcher drawing.
Taken from Harry's Ladder to Learning
Ward, Lock & Tyler, London, 1869

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is God doing in your life?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...