Thursday, November 17, 2011

A Quiet Heart

Today's passage:  II Samuel 7
     David can rest.  At long last, many of his immediate enemies have been put down.  Israel and Judah have been reunited after over seven years of following separate kings.  Strategies planned, armies trained, battles won.  These things have taken up a lot of David's time.  Ever since leaving those Bethlehem fields, David has been moving.  Moving towards a giant, moving out of range from Saul's javelin, moving through the wilderness with his mighty men, moving against his enemies to hang on to his throne.  When has David had time to be still? In his shepherding days, he had a lot of that.  He had time to meditate, play his harp, dwell on God's goodness. Since that time, he hasn't really been able to stop.  This is not sin, by the way.  He also has a family who requires his time (of course, had he chosen to stick with just one wife, that might have alleviated some responsibility--poor decision making that cost him in more than one way).  We all go through seasons of life when we can meditate more on God.
David tells Nathan his desire to build a Temple for God--Taken from  Standard Bible Story Readers (Book Six)
By Lillie A. Faris, Illustrated by O.A. Stemler and Bess Bruce Cleaveland
The Standard Publishing Company, 1929
     I have been reflecting on that lately.  It seems no matter how early I get up, I can never seem to get these finished without boys up and screaming in the background.  I feel guilty, because I want to have my time with God, and yet I shouldn't neglect my kids either.  God has given me these three lives, and they don't understand that Mommy on the computer is time with God.  Why would they?  It just looks like I'm playing around on the computer.  So then, some days I'm rushing trying to put something up here, not really feeling proud of what I have written because the quality isn't to my liking, or I can't seem to capture that central idea.  When I was in college, I had more time to sit and listen.  Not so much anymore.  But do you know what?  God knows I try.  I don't think He is unhappy with the time I spend with Him.  He knows it is different now.  He knows that part of my quiet time is not going to be quiet.  He knows that as early as I try to meet Him in the morning, my boys may get up just as early to meet me.  I guess that is why this first verse in Chapter 7 really speaks to me.  David finally had time to rest.  God had accomplished a lot in his life.  There were things that had to be handled, had to be addressed.  David was not sinning in doing any of those things.  It just left little time for meditation.
      My sister gave a devotion recently at a sister-in-law's baby shower that really stuck with me.  "Don't wish things away."  Her point was that as new Mommies, as much as we treasure that little one, we spend a lot of time wishing for the next phase.  I have done that a time or two.  She has four beautiful children, and the youngest just started school this year.  I know it has been a difficult transition for her.  I don't want to wish away these mornings when my children get up and need me, that I have to hurry up and get finished to help them start their day.  All too soon, there will be time for that.  In short time, they will be getting ready on their own.  My oldest is already doing that more than I would care to think.  Someday I will be able to read, sit and listen.  Someday I will be happier with what I have posted.  Someday I will be able to hear God speaking to me in my heart because I have not been handling and addressing boys fighting or mismatched socks, or growling tummies.  Those days will come.  And then I will be wishing for more interruptions.  A quiet heart is good.  It is satisfying.  But so is the noise.

2 comments:

  1. I think that is true with many phases in our life (even with us husbandless, childless people) - that we spend time looking forward to the next thing and miss or don't fully enjoy what God has for us right now. Like the saying I've heard before - Life is what happens while your waiting on life to begin (or something like that. I googled it and there was similar quote from John Lennon lol). Just the fact that you do these post on a regular basis is a real discipline. I enjoy reading them. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

What is God doing in your life?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...