Wednesday, June 1, 2011

At Peace

Today's passage:  James 3
     "But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. 
     And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace."
     When I first read these verses, I thought about Solomon.  He asked God for wisdom and God gave it to him.  He was the wisest man the world has ever known and his kingdom was the most peaceful.  He never went to war and he had no enemies.  Of course, he had to marry nearly 700 princesses from ungodly nations to keep it that way.  Or at least, he thought he did.  I would not consider bringing in women from every belief system wise.  Then I think of our current President.  He won the Nobel Peace Prize barely into his term, because he plans on keeping us out of wars.  I guess that's why they gave it to him.  He has toured the world emphasizing we are a country that wants peace, not only within our borders, but for every country.  These men are peacemakers.  Is that the peace God means when He talks about Godly wisdom?      
     Conversely, King David must not have been wise at all since he was always at war, and our former President went into Iraq and Afghanistan to bring justice for 9/11 so he also must be unwise.  That is how the world sees him.  They lampooned him for his mispronounciations all the time.  What am I missing here?  Have I been on the wrong side?  David was a man after God's own heart, and I supported President Bush in both terms.  Am I a warmonger?  Am I not wise?  Jesus said we would have enemies because they hated Him.  I know Jesus is wise.  Am I thinking about the wrong kind of peace?
     I'm beginning to think that the peace in this verse is not talking about peace among men, but peace with God.  A wise person will realize that God sent His Son to die for his sins, and through Him alone was salvation made possible.  When he realizes this, he will have peace with God.  A peacemaker is someone who will try to reconcile others to God.  A peacemaker is someone who will try to present the Good News to others so they also can have peace with God.  I can choose to be wise every day if I show someone the way to Heaven.  Every time I share God's salvation plan with a friend, family member, or neighbor, I am exhibiting Godly wisdom.  I am at peace with God, and I can help others make peace with God.  Perhaps I am wise, after all.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is God doing in your life?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...